Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Blog #6

Reading "A Bibliographic Overview of Electronic Literature" by Amanda , has opened my eyes to the world of electronic literature. It is refreshing to read what others think of e-lit as well as giving readers a way to better understand it. For example, in the “Five Elements of Digital Literature,” Noah Wardrip-Fruin explains that in order to fully understand e-lit the reader must be pay attention to the reading and interactive experience. I  completely agree; I feel as though his advice can be used when also reading hard copy literature.  

As I was reading about Francisco Ricardo's points on electronic literature  i found myself agreeing to his beliefs. Not that I am trying to bite off from his ideas on e-lit, but he mentioned how e-lit is complex compared to a hard-copy version of literature, which is exactly what has been running through my mind the moment I began this course. He believes that e-lit is "undamentally different from and more complex than a material or printed work” and that it “deserves a broad, extratextual reading of its creative context." I think that e-lit is supposed to be complex and broad. Authors of electronic literature have so much freedom to design and engage a reader in literature. Not only that but  in the long run it can be a  huge advantage for teachers-when trying to shove Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet in the minds of HS freshman.

The article overall was interesting; Gould quoted many authors who had different opinions concerning electronic literature but can be used throughout my e-lit experience.

Questions:
   -What is the minimal type of interaction an e-lit text can contain?
   -What advice can you give to beginning e-lit readers and creators?

No comments:

Post a Comment